Tuesday, June 3, 2014


Early Bird Criteriums and Clinics
Events
Early Bird Criteriums and Clinics
Dates
Five Sundays from January 5th through February 2nd, 2014
Group
45+ 5
Bib #
multiple
Results
01/05/14
01/12/14
01/19/14
01/26/14
02/02/14

11/41
9/38
7/20
4/26
2/12
Course
A flat, wide, 1.3 mile, non-technical criterium course in a business park. Excellent road surface.



Details of Races
The Early Bird Clinic and Race series is a valuable pre-season refresher for anyone planning on racing. Each Sunday leaders and mentors provide instruction, tips and drills, focusing on pack riding skills. While we ride year-round here in California, the actual road racing season basically ended in Septermber for most. And many, like me, haven't actually raced for years, or not at all. 

After the clinic, each category has their own race. We raced eleven laps each time. These are pre-season races, so no results are recorded. Any results I listed above were based on my own observation.
Besides the valuable training, some categories earn upgrade points for participating. I participated in all five clinics and races each of the, earning 7.5 upgrade points. I had one point from the Mt. Tam Hill Climb back in September, so I only needed to pick up 2 more points in the Early Bird Road Race and the Cherry Pie Criterium. A simple matter of submitting a request to upgrade through USACycling resulted in an official move up to category 4.
My yellow, steel Ron Cooper, Tweety, drew a lot of attention (who knows?... maybe it was my amazing prowess on the bike;-)) and each week I made several new friends who are now riding buddies and fellow racers....
... even though one Sunday I bore the "mark of the beast".

I highly recommend the Early Bird Training Series.



Advice
Attend as many as you can. This is a great time to practice moving around safely in the pack. It's also great practice for trying out different plans for timing your sprint. I never quite got it right, but you can see by the progression of my results I was making progress. And it sure beats making the same rookie mistakes during the actual season... now I just make other rookie mistakes.
Links
Results
not recorded
Strava

No comments:

Post a Comment