Tuesday, July 5, 2016

2016 Davis 4th of July Criterium

Our heads would be more even in height I stood on that blue box!
photo: Jeff Kato

Group
45/55 123 Combined field (45 starters: Four 55s and forty-one 45s)

Teammates
One: Jeff Kato (45s)

Result
3rd (of the 55s)

Course
Forty minutes on a flat flat flat, mostly well-paved 0.7-mile L-shaped lap, with five left turns and one right.

Preparation
Mostly mental. I’ve been a bit scattered lately with more work, and a busy social calendar. June was a lean racing month (just one road race and one hill climb time trial). My weekly workouts were less focused, and adherence to endurance and other strength training went right out the window.

But gentle prodding from teammate Jeff Kato reminded me of recent self-assessment of my racing goals: Mainly to continue developing my racing experience beyond the comfort zone. Which means embracing the challenge of races that don’t obviously fit my strengths.

Two more factors led me to race this one: In May I hung in, and really had fun, during the Cat’s Hill criterium. And there was potential for a point or two in the NCNCA Premiere Points Series.

The Race
Like a dummy, I waited with a dozen other racers, as our noon launch approached, in the shade, a few meters behind the bright sunny start line. As the announcer began talking up the crowd, a few guys rolled up to the line after their practice laps. I was boxed in by the other “shade-seekers” and by the time we lined up, both Jeff and I were in the back. Even with a small field of 45, it would be a lot of work to move up with all the turns on this course.

The whistle blows and we’re off. And yup, it’s fast (26.7 mph average speed for the whole race). We’re probably at 30th wheel, “tail gunning” and it’s stupid-hard to keep the gaps closed. 6 or 7 laps in I was starting to think I wasn’t going to be able to keep up the effort, and might get dropped.

At this point I could see about 7 riders had split off the front. The next few laps seemed much faster, but gps data doesn’t support that.

I turned my attention to looking for opportunities. I found the long, two block straightaway after the last turn (turn 6) and turn 1, was a good place to buy a few positions by moving up the right side. Then between turn 1 and 2, up the right side, guys were leaving 4 or 5 feet of space to the curb because the pavement had a nasty linear ridge. I explored and used most of the useful “real estate” there, to move up some spots. Then between turn 4 and 5, the speed is lower (only about 24 mph) and I could gain a single position.

Once I found those gems, I spent a few laps “banking” whatever positions I could. Move up 3, lose two, move up 4, lose 3… but eventually there was a “net profit.” I think I must’ve moved up into the less-surge-y part of the pack, and I didn’t feel like I was at my limit anymore. I was finally warmed up and having lots of fun.
Not really on the front, just trying to close a gap. The moto is a very bad sign–I'm too close to the back of the pack.
photo: Katie Truong

I’ve mentioned it before, but will repeat it here: These M123 criterium guys know how to corner. And going through the turns with them is a pleasure… except with a few laps to go, we lost one rider, sliding out on turn six.

I won’t drone on any longer because I didn’t have any impact on the race. The pace was already high, so the bell lap didn’t seem any different. Coming through turn 6 I could see Jeff was a half-dozen positions ahead, on his way to a solid mid-pack finish. I held off one rider on my right rear, just in case he was in my age group, though I couldn’t see his number. I likely came in around 28th-ish, but that was good enough for 3rd among the 55s–my first podium of the season, and 2 more Premiere Series points, maintaining 8th in the series.
At least at one point I was ahead of 55+ winner Marty Cunningham (cat 2, Folsom Bike/Trek/Raley's).
photo: Katie Truong
Takeaways
Jeff and I compared notes on the drive home and we both felt a need to work on enduring repeated surges. I feel like I get faster at recovery after 12 to 15 of them.

In the “No s--t Sherlock” department: There’s no good reason to start at the back of the pack in a criterium.

No comments:

Post a Comment