Monday, April 6, 2015

Copperopolis Road Race, April 4th, 2015


L to R: Glen, Kevin O'Donnell, Henrik Schubert
photo: Rob Lytle

group: Master 45+4
date of race: 04/04/15
Teammates: Kevin O'Donnell, Henrik Schubert & Rob Lytle
My result: 3rd of 21

For our small master 45+4 group of 21, we only race two laps of this, partially rough, 21-mile loop. For this, my second appearance at this race, the course truly felt like an old, dear friend.

Previous experience and a recent pre-ride with Rob Lytle, Henrik Schubert and Dan Wood, helped me dial-in the perfect air pressure for my 25mm clinchers: 70psi/85psi (front/rear). At these pressures, I was perfectly comfortable on the rougher sections–even while hammering, full-gas,on the long descents.

Kevin, Henrik and I have talked about this race for a few months on our frequent training rides in Marin, and it was clear that each of us wanted to finish well. The plan we arrived at during our pre-race conference call had impressive flexibility built into it, which, while none but me dared utter the possibility before the fact, allowed for three of us to stand on the podium.

I'll just quote part Kevin's efficient account of our race plan for lap two here:
Plan A: If the group was 7 or 8, we’d press only hard enough to weaken them, and keep Henrik surrounded and fresh for a sprint finish, where he is strongest.
Plan B: If too many or made up of big sprinters, then I would attack to open a large enough gap to make sprinters chase.  That would (in theory) allow Henrik and Glen to rest on the back of that chase … as close to the finish as possible.
I'll add:
I would be Henrik's lieutenant throughout, carrying his extra bottles on climbs & making sure he had my steady wheel. We would stay sheltered within the group, then attack over the final short climb. Ultimately I would deliver Henrik at my top speed to the beginning of the true full descent on the final lap.

The 4-mile, 4% climb on the first lap begins barely two miles in. One quarter of the starters are usually shed on this first ascent, and this seemed to be the case again. An earnest attack at this point isn't unheard of, and in fact a rider did get away, soon joined by two others. We know that while the WNW wind in the high valley wasn't particularly strong this day, it is significant for a tiny breakaway group to battle, and even if they can stay away until lap two, it's unlikely they'll hold their gap on the long climb coming up. Once in the high valley, our small CW band had no trouble forcing a strong pace while all but one breakaway rider faded back into our group before the short climb out of the valley. I missed the moment when we absorbed the remaining lone leader.

Kevin, Henrik and I hit the descent at high speed, creating a split in the remaining group. Rob was gapped during this split, but he and one or two more chased back on by the beginning of lap two. At this point I'd say we were down to fewer than a dozen of the original 21 starters. Kevin or Henrik told Rob to go ahead and “empty the tank, forcing the pace into the big climb, in hopes of wearing down others' legs.

Approaching the feed zone, Rob was preparing his last hard effort to wear down riders. I was on his wheel as he lost grip of a bottle he was pulling from its cage to jettison, prior to grabbing a fresh one from Paige. The bottle nearly fell in our path but he showed amazing futbol skills, juggling it with legs, crank arms, feet, while calling out to warn the rest of us, ultimately managing to nudge it to the side of the road. By now Rob was taking a bottle from Paige. I was concerned that Paige might not be able to reload in time for me, so as a failsafe, I grabbed an available neutral bottle. Henrik was right on my wheel and in good position to receive a bottle from Paige, who would've been more than ready for me. Henrik drank up, then I had him give it to me to haul up the hill. Rob burned what power he had as the climb kicked up in earnest. He had made some guys hurt before peeling off, which likely helped reduce potential attacks. Well done Rob!

As the climb began kicking up, Kevin asked Henrik frankly, “Is this the group you want to have?”

I couldn't quite hear the answer, but it was apparent to me that this herd needed thinning. I knew Kevin would gradually force the pace on this climb, though it didn't seem like Henrik was feeling his best yet.

Kevin went to the front and it seemed he was increasing the pace, stretching out the group. The overall pace so far was well within “conversational” for me, though I heard very labored breathing from competitors. Henrik's bright aero shoe covers were a big help to me in that it was easy to keep track of him with quick glances back under my arm, but he was riding nearer the back of the group now. Normally I would force a harder pace up this climb, but the commitment to watch out for a teammate kept my animal instinct in check.

1.5 miles into the climb, Kevin was leading, and picking up speed even more. Henrik shifted and his drivetrain seized, forcing him to a stop near the left side of the road. I was on the right side, with several riders between and immediately behind me. Damn! I left too much space between us. I slowed to a crawl, letting the group go. I didn't dismount or u-turn, suspecting that Rob couldn't be far behind, and he might help sooner. Just as I was about to reverse direction, I heard Rob bellow, “I got him! GO! GO!”. Rob must have burned actual bone marrow to launch Henrik to my wheel. Their effort was significant, so once Henrik was on my wheel I didn't try to regain the group too rapidly. We still had two miles of ascent ahead. By the time the climb was done, Kevin was off the front, with a 20-second gap, charging east into the high valley.

By this time, Kevin couldn't know of Henrik's mechanical misfortune, or the fatigue that chasing back into the group inflicted on him. Even so, this new situation was working out according to one of our planning scenarios, Plan B. Henrik and I now had a “free train ticket” as Marty Panos (CA Racing), Chris DeMattei (Victory Velo), Shawn Blosser (CA Racing), and one other organized their attempt to chase Kevin down. As gatekeepers, I rode 5th and Henrik 6th wheel, reducing the likelihood of other riders joining the mission, as the miles ticked off–moto-ref announced Kevin's gap was now “forty seconds”, “one minute”, and then “one-fifteen”! It was a little bit heartbreaking to watch the four of them struggle.

After a few more minutes the chase was failing–now driven only by Marty and Chris. Marty was beside himself. One mile before the base of the final short climb, Marty made one last all-out solo, 45-second effort before being reabsorbed into our group, completely frustrated.
As the final short climb begins, the hills shelter us from the wind. Now there could be no danger of catching Kevin, so our plan for a decisive attack on the short, final climb, that tows no unwanted passengers is next. I feel perfectly fresh. I felt like this race had been a z2 ride. But Henrik looked serious when he checked in with me one more time, telling me he still hasn't recovered from the chase on the long climb. He doubts he will have the legs for our attack. He told me “It's you.” I suppose I should have paused a moment to be sure, before blasting off, but this attack needed to be decisive. I took off and within 30 seconds, I had a workable gap. This gap grew, though nearing the summit, I began to feel mild cramping in my vastus medialis muscles. I could keep the twinges in check if I stayed in the saddle. I dumped it into the 50x11 and hammered over the top, onward and down, not looking back, only hoping that my previous experience on this hill would pay off on this bouncy, 31mph average, 7-minute full-gas descent.

As the descent flattens, I was surprised to see Kevin only about 600 meters ahead. We're within a mile of the finish. Would I catchhim? What do I do? No doubt chasers are bearing down. But he has earned this win! I looked behind and was thrilled to see blue–Henrik! There was one rider chasing some distance behind, too far to be a threat to what was now a very blue finish... as long as these cramps... ooh, stronger spasms now... no danger of overtaking Kevin for sure now I guess I did ride sort of hard today after all. In fact as much as I want to, I can't give Henrik a run for his money!

I found out later that Henrik had been covering several repeated attacks on the remainder of the climb, helping to maintain my gap. Then he executed an even faster descent than mine. By the 1k sign, Henrik overtook me. Shortly after that, Kevin crossed the line, then Henrik, and then me after a few more seconds.

What worked:
Preparation
My fitness this spring is apparently miles ahead of last year. While training climbs are merely on par with my best efforts, I'm sustaining longer efforts at threshold, sprinting better, and weathering random race-pace surges with less fatigue.
Previous experience on this course in the form of pre-rides and the past year's race, paid off.
Planning
Discussion about certain races with teammates and even just comparing notes on sleep, diet, hydration and form, during training rides goes a long way to laying the foundation for the pre-race phone conference, where preliminary race plans are formed.
Commitment and Flexibility
During the race, things change. A good race plan has flexibility and being direct and honest with teammates helps everyone make the adjustments necessary.
Commitment to teammates, commitment to a descent or an attack takes effort. I can't believe how many times I had to force myself to forget last year's “unattached rider” mode during this race. Committing to stick to Henrik likely kept my efforts governed, saving more power for the final chapter.

Lessons Learned
Follow Through
I tried to be consistent and supportive, but I “dropped the ball” when Henrik's drivetrain seized. Fortunately Rob was near enough to step in, but I really should've found a way to stop and assist sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment