Monday, March 16, 2015

Bariani Road Race: March 15th, 2015

The spectacular Sierra Buttes preside over a somewhat less remarkable frontage road.
photo: Katie Truong
Result
11th of 58
This was my second time racing on this course. A little slower this year, due to the wind. The difference a year, and my new team, would make became evident right from the whistle. More importantly, our team's efforts helped get our protected rider onto the podium, and a fifth place finish for our second sprinter.

The Course
Three laps at roughly 13.7-miles each, for 42 miles total. This day is dry and slightly overcast, with a temperature of 70°. A constant 15-18 mph wind blows from SSW, meaning the finishing stretch will be into the wind.

The Plan
We expected to show up with nine riders. Our protected man being Mark Carson. We had second sprinter Neil Leary in the back pocket too. Kevin O'Donnell would be Mark's main guardian. Tony Low, our remarkable, aerodynamic “locomotive” would serve chasing, train-propelling, and other protective roles. Jim Forester, Peter Aughney and I would be ready interpret and to respond to credible attacks. If none occurred, and if the pack was relatively cohesive halfway through the final lap, then Jim, Tony, Peter and I would form the blue-hot train of doom, stringing out the field, hopefully delivering Kevin, Mark and Neil through the rollers, around the final turn, and into the setup for the final sprint. Even though the road is wide on the final stretch, we don't want fifty guys involved in the sprint.

I would ride in the front of the pack, hopefully within the front ten riders. My assignment was to go with any viable breakaway, with full intent to stay “gone.” By “viable”, of course I mean it has to be sufficient in number, and threat (other teams represented). If a breakaway goes without me in it, I've failed.

"Blue Crush" (Cushman & Wakefield Racing) leading the peloton into the wind on the first lap.
photo: Katie Truong
Lap One
Next to Victory Velo, we were the largest team. Knowing the course narrows dramatically once we turn north onto the crappy roads after four miles, CW lined up in front for the neutral rollout and no one protested when we pulled the pack into the wind. There wasn't the usual fight to get to the turn onto CR 88A. It's very difficult to move forward on these skinny, potholed roads, with a centerline rule (yet no centerline).

I wasn't quite in position yet when an attack off the front by a solo rider was covered by Chris Kolm, and I think a rider or two tried to bridge, but shortly all were reabsorbed, but the original rider, who flailed on his own. I worked into my position as we all came back together.

Rolling east, on CR14, through the only features on this course that could be called “rollers”, Victory Velo's Christopher DeMattei attacked by himself. I rolled my eyes. He's already in a crosswind out of the south, and it's only going to peel his eyelids back when he rounds the turn onto the frontage road. But I thought I heard a voice from a teammate nearby (probably just in my head) yell “Go!”, so I go-ed. The pack stayed pat and laughed at us with their pirate laughs while I caught Chris 500m prior to the overpass. I asked “Are we really going to do this now? Or should we wait for some more guys next time?” He was cooked, but wouldn't stop. Once onto the frontage road, I sat up, then he followed suit. I looked for some blue to drop in front of.

Lap Two
The race got downright fun (for me anyway) on this lap. Only Tony and Mark's race reports have filled me in on what caused the action. Rounding the turn onto CR88A, onto the cruddy roads, a strong looking guy in a bright red jersey seemed ready to attack. Phil Tercero and Klaus Grimm were ready to play too. They were stretching out the pace and I thought this could turn into a split. I thought we were just speeding things up, I was glad to be in the front, picking my own line through the dicey 90° turns, happy to have the extra cornering clearance that my new (used) Speedplay pedals provide. After a bit Phil yells “Let's go! Let's work! We got a gap!” I didn't know there had been a crash somewhere behind us. I kept hammering with Phil and Klaus. At some point we were joined by Jim Forester, and then a few others. We had run out of right angled turns, so it was hard to look behind to see the real situation, but I could see there were only eighteen or twenty riders in our group. I thought that was too many and our rotation would get too sloppy, but someone astutely muttered “it's better than seventy-five!”

Phil and Klaus were super-motivated to work hard in the front of this lead group. Jim looked strong and willing so he and I matched their efforts, the four of us pulling the rest along at 29mph for two miles. I got a case of potty-mouth yelling at other riders to help out before I realized I was trying to catch flies with vinegar. About then I suggested to Jim that we back off, knowing Phil and Klaus were two of the top sprinters in this race, and were thus motivated enough to perhaps wear themselves out.

Once eastbound on the first flat section of CR14 I saw KOD come alongside and I figured he, Mark and Neil had made the split no problem. What I didn't know was they had been caught behind a crash on one of the turns. Tony had to quickly unclip while skirting the mess, then go into TT mode, pulling KOD, Neil and Mark within range of our lead group.

Lap Three
The slog south, along I-5 is nearly pathetic at 18mph. It felt like a commuting with a backpack. Turning west onto CR19, Jim, me, a ZOCA rider and one other find ourselves up front again (in my case because I don't want to be caught blocked on skinny roads), as KOD coaches an echelon training drill. I still feel really fresh, and for me the drill is like a car-trip game that the adults use to keep me happy.

Going north, Phil and Klaus light it up some more. I join in and Jim is along for more fun. I knew we didn't have much time for meaningful breakaways to materialize, but I was still feeling really good, as I had all day.

Eastbound onto CR14 for the last time, the pace is already high, so it doesn't seem crucial to form the blue train. Jim and I keep the pace hot through the rollers, to the turn south onto the frontage road. I'm finally fried so I peel off, but quickly have to work my ass off to latch back onto the tail of the group of about twenty. I'm watching from the rear as Mark and Neil choose their wheels. We're still about 1K to go and there's a surge, but no one is out of the saddle. At this point, more to watch the action, I find some big, fading corpses to slip in behind, and move up to around twelfth wheel. Smart guys like Mark and Neil waited longer than I expected in this wind, so much so that I found myself almost alongside Mark, thinking I'd better surge one more time to give him a leadout. But right then the sprint began and I flailed over the line, eleventh, just edged out by... yup, Chris DeMattei from Victory Velo. Curses! I missed top-ten by inches.
Team leader Mark Carson (far left) crossing the line third. Teammate Neil Leary (near right) finishing fifth.
photo: Katie Truong
Takeaways

This was one of the funnest races I've ridden. Our team did well at Snelling, but I didn't accomplish all of my duties there. For this race I was determined to set a goal for myself: To not only confidently hold position near the front, ready to act, but to be a controlling force in the race. Last year as an unattached racer, I had to treat every race as an “A” race, being my own domestique and lieutenant. Those diverse duties often had me err on the side of caution, staying more sheltered, slightly farther back in the pack, where I often got blocked when important moves happened. Ironically, having a specific set of duties as a team member this year has given me liberty to focus on dynamics that I'm so glad I didn't miss! I really finished the day feeling like Jim and I made some guys hurt, driving the pace. Sorry that it turned out to be some of my teammates. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment