Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Race Report: Mt. Hamilton Classic Road Race, Sunday, May 25, 2014


Event
Mt. Hamilton Classic Road Race
Date
05/25/14
Group
35+ 4
Bib #
512
Result
8th of 27



Course
Below is directly from the race flyer:

This classic road course climbs 4,500' in 20 miles to the top of Mt. Hamilton, then continues 43 miles through remote ranch lands to the finish in Livermore, on Mines Rd. 0.5 miles south of Del Valle. Total elevation gain exceeds 6,000‘. Neutral water bottle handout at Isabel Creek, mile 25. Feed zone is at mile 40 at the fire station at the junction of San Antonio Valley Rd. and Del Puerto Canyon Rd. Feed vehicles must precede the PRO / Elite 1 group or approach feed zone via Mines Rd.
Route: L on Fleming Ave, R on Alum Rock Ave, R on Mt. Hamilton Rd., straight on San Antonio Valley Rd., straight on Mines Rd.

Here's my own description of the  62 mile course:

The 20-mile ascent of Mt. Hamilton essentially begins at mile zero of this course. It's fortunately broken into 3 sections, separated by two brief descents:
  1. 7 miles, 1,656 ft, 4.5% avg. grade
  2. 3 miles, 740 ft, 4.5% avg. grade
  3. 7.8 miles, 1,893 ft, 5.3% avg. grade
  • Then comes a technical 4.5 mile, 2,400 foot descent with many hairpin turns, one with a cattle guard at the apex. Aside from that, the road surface was really very good.
  • Then comes 14 miles of rolling terrain, before the 4 mile, 607 foot, final climb, which is split into two efforts by a false summit.
  • After cresting this last climb, the last 19 miles are an average -2% descent, although there's a perpetual headwind which makes it feel like flat ground.
The centerline rule is in effect for every inch of the course.



Details of Race
27 lined up for the start. I chose to race with the Master 35 group because I was ranked in the top half dozen of those preregistered, while the the M45 group was a mix of category 3 and category 4 riders. Many (not all) of the cat 3 riders had higher ranking points than me, as did a few of the cat 4 riders. While I had a chance to move up in the rankings if I beat any of those riders, I was most interested in a better shot at a higher placing and the resulting upgrade points to add to the nine that I've accumulated to date.

From the whistle, the pace was brisk, at 14 mph. At mile 3 there was an attack. After a few meters another rider went. The rest stood pat. There's a KOM prize in addition to prizes five deep at the finish. I knew that while the mountain was a formidable obstacle, the bulk of pain in this race would come while covering the 14 mile midsection. I also knew I wouldn't win the KOM, but I wanted more time to study the form of each rider before the group fragmented, so I accelerated and reeled in the two attackers. This kept us together only for another mile or so, but it also served to gap the weakest climbers.

My primary goal for the ascent was not to win the KOM, nor did I think I'd match the descending skills of the leaders. But I knew if I climbed at my pace, I could control my effort and avoid “blowing up” later, like I knew at least a few of the dozen, who clung to the wheels of the leader, would do. My other goal was to summit ahead of as many riders as possible, to “put time in the bank” that would certainly be “withdrawn” as more confident riders would certainly overtake me on the tricky descent. The second part of this goal was to use those riders on the 14 mile rolling section to come.

In letting the lead group go, I was able to drop my HR to 175 bpm for the remainder of the ascent–a level I know I can just sustain without too high a price in mild conditions. To keep fatigue at bay, I alternated between climbing in and out of the saddle. This helps me use different muscle groups and also serves to stretch my back, neck, shoulders and glutes, hopefully delaying the inevitable cramping that comes from riding at threshold for extended periods.

Just before the crest of the 2nd pitch, at 11.7 miles, I caught two of my group. We descended together until the 3rd pitch began. We picked up a third rider in this little valley who pulled us to the base of the climb. I patted him on the back and thanked him for the pull. One of the other two riders asked me if I'd had “a flat back there or something” which I chose to interpret to mean that I was looking pretty strong, much like those who had dropped him earlier.

I was interested in building a train for later, so I tried to ease up on my pace to keep us together. But it was soon clear that these three were cooked for the day, so I resumed my pace. I “played leapfrog” with two women from an earlier group all the way to Lick Observatory at the summit. At the top an official with a clipboard noted my number as I passed and I wondered how many of my group were still ahead–I guessed 10. One of the women appeared to be a very competent descender, so I let her go first and gave her plenty of space. Since my crash back in February, I haven't regained the confidence required to descend rapidly and skillfully. I was grateful that “traffic was light” because choosing a good line through each turn was key. About three quarters of the way down the 4.5 mile descent, one of the three riders from my group I'd dropped on the last pitch, overtook me.

Finishing the descent, he introduced himself as Rollie [Rolland Jurgens (CA Technologies Racing)], and we started trading short pulls. Rolling through the neutral feed zone (actually just water) I guzzled the rest of my first bottle, tossed the empty into the pile and grabbed two ice-cold bottles, loading one into my empty cage and the other inside my jersey, against the back of my neck. The temperature had already climbed to about 80° and the cold felt great. I was only aware of this single opportunity to get water on this 61 mile course and expected to have to make the 3 bottles I had, last.

The descent was long enough to make my legs stiff. Then while working with Rolland, I felt the first familiar twinges of cramps in my calves and thighs. My first two bottles had electrolyte mix, and I was eating my calorie and potassium-rich Medjool dates, but the heat was accelerating the effects of effort. I warned Rolland that I'd work with him as long as I could, but that sometimes these cramps can be debilitating. He said “likewise” so I could tell he was feeling the same way.

We managed to stick together, making good progress, for about 10 miles as my cramping increased. The two women from the mountain latched onto the back of our “train” at the feed zone, risking an infraction if a moto-ref happened to come by. We didn't allow the two women into the rotation, just in case. At about mile 32 we overtook another from our race, who was able to latch on and share in the work. At 35 miles, the lead dozen from the E4 race, which started 10 minutes after us, flew by. The two women jumped onto that train but were dropped soon after.

At 40 miles I was fighting six different cramps. Near the top of the first pitch of the final climb, Rolland had gone off the back. The other rider was still hanging on, but fading. Through the saddle between the two summits of this final climb, I downed the Espresso Clif Shot I had in my pocket. Wow! I felt great immediately. The cramps were still an issue–the spasming Sartorius muscle, contracting across the top of the Vastus medialus on each leg was a disturbing sight, much like wire cheese cutters going through soft cheese. My side-stitch had eased, but my calves were still cramped. I started shifting into harder gears and sprinting out of the saddle. This actually helped relieve the discomfort a lot, while increasing my speed. By now, I had dropped the last remaining "car" of my little pain-train.

With 11 miles to go I noticed a rider who I thought might be Rolland, about 500 meters behind. I decided to sit up and wait for him so we could work together. As the rider approached I began accelerating to match speed, but just as I did so, a new cramp seized my left foot. The rider wasn't Rolland, but it didn't matter because I couldn't latch on. I managed to relax the muscles and resume my pace. I chased that rider all the way to the finish, but was always 30 seconds or so behind.

This is a point to point race and I had a 43 mile ride ahead of me to get back to my car. Most racers had worked out complex caravans to avoid this, but I was actually looking forward to my second consecutive Sunday century. I only hoped, as I waited for preliminary results to be posted, that if any prizes were on offer, that they'd be small and light enough to fit in my jersey pockets.

I didn't have to worry... the results printout showed the order of the top five, and my name was down in the middle of the “DNP”s (short for “did not place”). I counted lines down to my name and it looked like I finished 15th. I was disappointed, mainly because this showed my ability to estimate the numbers of riders ahead and behind me on the course, was lacking.

At any rate, I loaded up on water, orange slices and bananas for the ride back to San Jose. I texted Jen to let her know I was ok, then loaded the breadcrumb course I'd imported onto my Garmin 500. I followed this route at a leisurely pace, riding 10 of the final 16 miles with a nice Fremont local who had ridden the same 102 mile route that I had, as his Sunday recreational ride.

Back at the car in San Jose at last, I packed up, changed clothes and rolled on home. That evening the official results were posted and I was thrilled to see that I actually placed 8th... the preliminary result I'd seen at the finish was merely a numerical list of bib numbers after the initial top five. If I'd managed to overtake that one last rider, finishing 7th, I'd have earned 1 more upgrade point. Still I was relieved to see that my ability to keep track of riders ahead and behind is fairly accurate after all.

By the end of the day I'd ridden 105 miles with 8360 ft. of total elevation.



Advice









Links

A good, challenging race for all-rounders. If possible, be with the lead group at the summit. Find good riders to work with in the midsection. The final 40 miles is tough, and it's not really possible to catch a strong lead group if you're solo.


Be safe on the descent. There were a lot of road rashes being treated in the first aid tent.



Results
Strava

No comments:

Post a Comment