Friday, May 30, 2014

Cat's Hill Classic Criterium, Saturday, May 3rd, 2014

Cat’s Hill Classic Criterium
Saturday, May 3rd, 2014
Los Gatos, CA
Event
Mike’s Bikes Cat’s Hill Classic Criterium
Date
05/03/14
Group
35+ cat 4/5
Bib #
914
Result
15th of 37

This course, like so many in the NorCal/Nevada district, has some big names on the list of its winners. I just had to do this race if only for the sake of racing on the same old broken streets as Greg Lemond, Ron Kiefel, Peggy Maas, Katrin Tobin, Sally Zack and more, dating back to 1974.
Course
The promoters bill this as “one of the toughest races on the NorCal circuit” and that’s accurate at least based on my experience so far this year. This is a backwards “L” shaped course with 6 turns: 5 right and 1 left, for a 0.9 mile lap. The streets in this hilly, affluent neighborhood are skewed, so the corners are either slightly acute or slightly obtuse, but still within five to eight degrees of 90°. With the exclusion of the narrowing lane after the climb, the streets are really wide… maybe 10 meters. From the start, there’s a long straightaway on fractured concrete slab streets. After about 1-1/2 long blocks to turn 1, a 95° right, then quickly turn 2, an 85° right. One block with a speed hump, then the concrete changes to fairly new asphalt, laid down last year, as turn 3, an 85° left onto an immediate 23% climb for one “short block” (about 50 meters?). This tops out in a lovely, narrowing, shaded lane, then dips slightly. It feels like paradise, but this is where you need to hammer while everyone’s catching their breath. Two short blocks, then turn 4, a 95° right with a dip on the inside, followed immediately by a hump, that slows you down. The whole exit of the turn climbs a hump that requires extra acceleration to keep the speed up. I got pinched here only twice. It’s best to take that turn on the outside where the profile is more even. One long block to set up for turn 5, a 92° right, exiting onto the familiar fractured concrete slab surface for a five short-block, 35-40mph descent to turn 6, a wide 80° right, then 160m to the line.

Details of Race
We started with 37 riders and most, like me, knew it was important to get to the base of the climb near the front of the pack in order not to get boxed in or fouled by riders who botch their shifts. The hill is steep enough that you’re going to have to climb in the gear you select at the base. I found myself in the exact middle of the pack for the first 3 or 4 laps (we did 15) and by the 3rd prime contest I was topping the climb in the front 3 or so. For some reason riders were hugging the right half of the road to the curb, boxing each other in. Once I noticed this trend, I began using the left side which gave me a clear path up.

The long, fast descent was actually pretty safe, yet I still yielded 3 or 4 positions here on each lap, due to caution. Even so, I was usually able to make that up on the long straightaway approaching turn 1. Unfortunately conservative descending was the difference of 5 positions for me at the finish. By the final lap, the 25 of us who were left were strung out on the long straightaway heading to turn 1. I accelerated from mid-pack, up along the left curb, to the front 4. I planned to stay locked in here until we hit the climb for the last time, knowing I had kept pace with the fastest riders on previous ascents. I wasn’t prepared for the mad rush though and 8 or 10 riders filled the turn at the base of the climb. I also chose my gear unwisely–it was the same 39x24 I’d been using previously, but the pace required a stronger effort in a 39x19. I was 12 back by the top of the climb. I clawed back a couple of positions, hammering in “shady paradise lane”, but coming out of turn 4 along the top of the park, I caught a glimpse of soon-to-be winner Jay Parkhill (Team Roaring Mouse) who did everything right. Besides hitting the hill decisively on the last lap, he sprinted at 31mph to create a gap, heading into turn 5. All I could do was say “All right Jay!” to his teammate Nathan Codding, who was overtaking me. While we front 10 were approaching turn 5 at the top of the long, fast, 35-40 mph descent towards the final turn, Parkhill had a 20 meter gap. At the apex of turn 6, the pack is going 30 mph and there just isn’t enough distance to the line to execute a proper sprint. A gap established prior to the descent seems to stick… as long as you’re not shy about taking the final turn at blistering speed. I was a little bit conservative with my approach to that turn each time, so I noticed I usually lost 2 or 3 positions on the descent. On this final lap I was probably #10 at the top of the descent, but #15 at the line.

2nd place Patrick Minotti (cat5, Berkeley Bicycle Club) was really jazzed. He told me this was his first road cycling race in 25 years. He picked a tough course for his comeback!

Advice
Prepare for months with interval training (structured or Fartlek).
Tires/Wheels: Strong wheels are recommended by the promoters. I have only one set, so no tough decisions there. I did mount 25c tires and went with lower air pressure than usual (100psi front/110psi rear) to give me a little better stickiness in the fast corner (turn 6).

Gearing: Yes it’s 23%, but this is a race and the pace doesn’t allow sitting and spinning. To keep from getting dropped you have to repeat 15mph efforts on this shortie. If you don’t have compact gearing, don’t worry. A 39 works just fine. Just make sure you’re in it before hitting the hill. Some are actually big-ringing it, so if you have the power, rock on.
Strategy: Don’t listen to me… I’ve only done this race once. But I’ve read that it’s not uncommon for a small group to get away early, then stay away. Big fields can get fractured by botched shifts and squirrely moves on the hill. If you’re still in it by the bell lap, treat the approach to turn 3 and the subsequent final ascent of the hill as a sprint for the line. If you can be out front along the topside of the course and commit fully to turn 5, the descent and turn 6, you should do well. If you’re 10 back, it’s too late to move up.

No comments:

Post a Comment