Sunday, February 14, 2016

Folsom Winter Criterium, Saturday Feb. 13, 2016

Master 35+ Cat 3/4
38th of 78 (you can’t get more “middle of the pack” than that)

Teammates: Jeff Kato, Long Nguyen, Jeff Bilodeau

This is a fast, totally flat, non-technical, kidney-bean-shaped course on exquisite pavement.

I did only one criterium last season, choosing to focus more on the different roles I could play in my first season of team road racing. Somehow I think it’s easier to wrap my head around specific dynamics in most road races, as in criteriums, circumstances can turn on a dime, throwing planned tactics into the blender. (does that make any sense?). Well, I’d forgotten how much FUN races like this one are.

My goals for this race were not grand ones. I told Jeff beforehand that I couldn’t guarantee that I’d be able to be in position to lead him out. Instead I chose to focus on the following:
1. Stay upright
2. Don’t injure anyone else
3. Practice moving through the pack
4. Defend my position(s)
5. Avoid riding on the front
6. If there’s a split, be in the front group

In general, I wanted to implement new and old skills to use this race as one of many early season tune-ups. And I was looking forward to the inevitable, random, successive surges that would happen. There’s no better interval training.

When Jeff says he missed the whistle, I’m not surprised. It was a pretty subtle toot, but I was clipped in and very glad I’d shifted into my 50x19 during line-up, because we were up to race speed quickly, with Long and I up around 10th wheel.

It seemed like there was a bit of a breeze in our faces on the backside of the course, yet most chose to move up on the left (windward) side anyway. I had much better success moving around and taking wheels from other riders by going up the middle and the gutter. I courteously tapped the hip of riders as I came along the gutter, and in most cases they nodded appreciatively

I usually contest all primes (those prizes are often quite good), but decided to exercise restraint since a week ago I was fighting an intestinal bug with a fever.

About halfway through the race I was approaching a good position in the pack to go for the last of the of three primes. I was still coming through the apex of the last turn as the prime winner was sprinting out of the saddle, but I went for it anyway. While I didn’t win it, I saw there was a substantial gap back to the pack. The two guys who beat me to the line were regrouping and checking over their shoulders also. I bridged up to them quickly, but before we could start a rotation, the pack roared up.

We probably had about 9 laps to go at this point. At least once or twice per remaining lap, there was an attack up the left side. I was still sheltering near the front as much as possible, with my eyes on the sides of my head and ears on the road. I almost always caught a good wheel to stick with each attack and managed several free rides, staying near the lead of these surges.

With about 4 laps to go Jeff Bilodeau went up front to string things out. I got on his wheel, though he was hammering and I wasn’t sure what good would come of it. At least it was easier to maintain position. Through the start/finish with two laps to go, Jeff is tiring. He moves left, and I drift right, then back into the pack to watch for surges and opportunities in the windup to the bell lap. It’s like a washing machine. It was better being on Jeff’s wheel! My beloved gutter is blocked with guys who are new to the experience of dancing along the uneven seam where the asphalt meets the concrete. Several riders ran off the road, up into the grass on the right.

On the final lap, I’m still boxed-in. Successful moves are going up the left side (which as Jeff mentioned, is the longer and less advantageous line around each turn). By turn three, I’m still trying to claw out of my foxhole with no success. As I’m approaching turn three, leaders are out, already sprinting for the line. I only accelerate to pick off two positions in hopes of a slight boost to my tragically unimpressive criterium ranking number.


In hindsight, I could’ve ridden much smarter. I certainly felt I had the reserve power for more surges, and had plenty left for a sprint. Through most of the race I found it pretty easy to take wheels from other riders through simple assertion. Sometimes by slightly backing my hip closer to them, and otherwise just insinuating my bike onto the wheel they wanted. Ultimately my biggest mistake was allowing myself to be boxed-in. But in all other respects, I got out of this race exactly what I wanted. I definitely feel more prepared for next weekend at Snelling.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those are short laps! And it looks pretty flat. Was compact gearing enough or were you reaching for an extra gear that wasn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The compact was just fine. Avg. speed was only 26-27mph. So I rarely ever needed anything bigger than 50x14,15. At this point in the season, the 50x14 is a little hard to push rapid accelerations when needed. Need to build up more power with squats or some such.

    The lap distance was on the shorter side, but anywhere from 0.8 to 1 mile is common.

    ReplyDelete