Sunday, May 10, 2015

Berkeley Hills Road Race, Master 45+cat4, May 9, 2015, 2nd place!

Aaaaaarrrrrghhhh! Can't catch Rob!
photo: Jenny Peng
With teammate Neil Leary. Not pictured, winner Rob Easley
photo: Kevin O'Donnell
Teammates:
m45: Kevin O'Donnell, Henrik Schubert, Neil Leary, Jeff Bell, and me
m55: Dan Wood, Scott La Perle

The field was a blend of m45+ and m55+ riders. The groups race together, but are picked separately. After getting so much support for a good result in my most recent race, I offered to work for other teammates in this one.

Plan A
(evolved during our pre-race conference call)
Kevin/Henrik (breakaway riders)
The peloton has seen CW's m45 cat 4 squad execute fairly conservative race plans this season, with good results, but we wanted to try something different this race... the breakaway. Somewhere in lap two, teammates Kevin O'Donnell and Henrik Schubert would hammer out a 5-min z5 effort to snap a big, decisive gap. If lucky, 4 or 5 guys: Kevin, Henrik, Rider C?, Rider D? (maybe a Zoca guy?). If it doesn't work the first time, hit 'em again.
If Kevin/Henrik successfully get away with a small group, Neil and I don't help chase. We sit in, still protecting Dan. Staying fresh for the finish, whether the breakaway succeeds or not.

Glen Kinion (m45)
has two jobs: Mark the main competition, namely Zoca riders, my buddy Rob Easley (m45) and his teammate Tim Davis (m55), as well as the state's top ranked cat 4 road racer, West Kurihara (m55) (Team Fremont/FFBC pb Chipotle). Job 2: help Neil Leary (m45) protect Dan Wood (m55). Dan has been looking forward to this opportunity to have some support from our deep m45 squad. Therefore I'm marking the top competition in both age groups, to allow Neil to focus on staying close to Dan.

Dan Wood (m55)
is the protected rider

Neil Leary (m45)
protects Dan, keeping him fresh until final sprint. I cover this job if Neil has a mechanical. Neil will keep an even pace on climbs, while keeping Dan safely near the front of the main group. This is where I plan to be doing my work anyway, so both of us will be pacing Dan.

The Race
Team Zoca seemed to be really organized early on. Their fantastic looking orange and blue kits were in control at the front of the field. This made it easy for me to keep track of my marked guys (though I needed Dan to point out Tim and West, as I didn't know them.

No surprises on this lap, easy pace on climbs, no attacks. On each lap, the “lumpy bits” consist of essentially two climbs: Mama Bear and Papa Bear (there is a Baby Bear but it's nothing more than a gentle rise that doesn't warrant a front shift off the big ring). Starting the ascent of Mama Bear on this lap, Kevin and Henrik quietly cruised to the front, then artfully and painfully increased tempo. The peloton reacted just like a blob of Silly Putty when it's pulled in two directions... it snapped. I intentionally soft-pedaled at the front of the rear group to define the gap a bit, more. Neil was next to me and I could see him instinctively cranking hard ahead to regain contact with the 15 or so in Kevin and Henrik's group. A few in the rear group were starting to line up for a free ride behind Neil, so I moved over and put my hand on Neil's shoulder and quietly explained that as counterintuitive as it seems, we need to let the front group go in order to give Kevin and Henrik's effort a chance. Their lead group was probably too big to be organized into a successful breakaway, but if the pace stays hot enough, half of them will be shelled out the back. This will leave a group of about 6, which if they can work together, can build a gap that can succeed. Later in the third lap, Kevin and Henrik would work several tactics to reduce their workload, while fatiguing the others in the breakaway, hopefully improving a chance for a CW 1,2 finish.

Rob and Tim (Zoca) were riding away in that group. Before the race, we agreed that if either or both of them joined, they would be controlled by Kevin and Henrik and then I would devote my efforts to Dan. I could tell Neil was frustrated watching the front group ride off, but he eased up and we sat in as others in our trailing group moved forward to do the chasing. To tell the truth, I wasn't exactly convinced of my decision, but it felt like the one that matched our plan A the best. Shortly, halfway through the dip just past the top of Mama Bear, others in our group gassed themselves towing the rest of us up to the lead group anyway, where Kevin and Henrik must have really been churning the watts with their impressive acceleration up the climb.
So ensconced, you can barely see me (mid-group, white helmet and shoe covers) right behind Kevin's left shoulder. I'm busy marking Rob (orange jersey). Next to me is Dan Wood. Henrik is just behind Dan.
photo: Katie Truong

Somewhere before the ascent of Papa Bear, Dan notified me that Neil had thrown his chain, so I needed to focus on protecting him until Neil could chase back into the group. The pace up Papa Bear was as calm as on the first ascent, except for Kevin, who was doing another hard effort, trying to draw Rob and anyone else who wanted a chance for glory, off the front. I was giving Dan a steady wheel when I saw him fly by. I came alongside and indicated that he was making it hard for me to be there for him by doing so. He apologized and said he'd seen another m55 rider he was concerned about who looked like he was making a move. Kevin and Rob were off the front over the top of Papa Bear, apparently talking about whether to keep growing a gap. The group reunited on the long descent towards the junction with San Pablo Dam Road. And by this time, Neil rejoined us and I went back to marking riders as before.

We're just beginning lap 3 now. Henrik and Kevin can fill in the facts here, as I'm a little fuzzy on the “whens” and “wheres” but on the long haul up San Pablo Dam Rd. Henrik whispered a “get ready” to Kevin. This stretch of the course wasn't one that was considered ahead of time for an attack, but here's to thinking on the road. Henrik surprise attacked, bringing another rider along. They were away around the turn onto Castro Ranch Rd. The group was slow to react, and on the painful pair of kickers on this road, the other guy faded while Henrik kept on the gas, increasing his gap. He got over the top and down the other side, to Alhambra Valley Rd., before getting caught. West Kurihara, who had been hanging out in the back of the peloton decided to ride closer to the front after these powerful CW surprise attacks. And I'm sure several in the peloton were getting tired from chasing them down. I was still fresh, having cruised in zone 1 & 2 all morning, letting others chase.

I checked with Henrik, and he said he was pretty cooked, and wouldn't likely be able to join Kevin on the remaining attack they had planned, somewhere along the rest of Alhambra Valley Rd. or on Bear Creek Road. The peloton was watching everything we were doing now, happy to cruise easily along behind us. I moved up to the front to check in with Kevin, letting him know Henrik was done. I was about to suggest I go with him on this next attack, but he mumbled something about being pretty cooked himself, and I might as well figure on saving myself for the “bunch sprint” this last time up Papa Bear.

I was a bit unsure, but dropped back a few wheels to get behind my marks while I giving both of my mates a chance to recover if possible. I was thinking things over: They had each put in very taxing efforts that had a big impact on the race so far. Each attack wasn't a coordinated, two-man attack as we planned, but I wouldn't even be seeing straight if I were in their shoes, so best to give Kevin some space. Then I look ahead and Kevin is making his own space! He's stealthily grinding away 30 meters, 40, 70, 100... Two from Zoca are chasing, but seem concerned about zapping their strength, so they ease off. Two Berkeley Bicycle Club riders take on the job, and with great difficulty, eventually reel Kevin back in. I can't remember if the chase continued part of the way up Mama Bear too.

During each of my teammates' attacks, all of my marked riders had to put in big efforts. Good job K & H!

Near the top of Mama Bear, Marty Panos (CA Racing) “hail Mary-ed” going to the front. He always puts it all out there, but this was too little too late. Neil and Dan were right with me as we carefully threaded our way towards the front of the group at the base of this final climb up to the finish. It was time for plan B.

The attacks Kevin and Henrik executed were an attempt to end a dynamic all too common in category 4 racing: The big, clunky, bunch finish. In this case we were still a big group, but only a few of us were fresh. So thank you so much Kevin and Henrik for wearing the others down. Plan A was still going to be a success after all.

Dan wanted me to pace him up the climb as long as I could hold back, and Neil was free to go his own pace. The front of the pack was already thinning within the first minute up the climb. I saw my main competition, Rob Easley go to the front earlier than I had hoped, so I had to abandon Dan (sorry Dan!). I didn't want to ramp up my speed too much yet, so tried to simply not let Rob's gap get any bigger than 10 or 15 meters. Rob and I have climbed a lot together, and I have yet to stay with him, but he does make a good “rabbit.” While trying to match his pace, we had a big gap on the rest of the field. With 200 meters to go, I shifted two cogs smaller, got in the drops and drove my heart rate to 182, but it was clear that Rob was unstoppable. Glancing under my arm at the chasers, maybe 40 meters back, it was also apparent that I would stay away for 2nd.
Rob goes off. Even if I hadn't delayed while trying to pace Dan for a bit at the bottom, Rob's un-catchable.
photo: Jenny Peng

Rob and I congratulated each other, then I was thrilled to see teammate Neil come in 3rd! Coming across 4th with a flat front tire was Dan Schaefer (Christian Cycling), who finished right behind me at the Copperopolis Road Race last month. Then 5th overall, but 1st among m55s, CW teammate Dan Wood! Great results considering this was “plan B!”. Crossing the line we each heard raucous cheers from CW teammates who rode out to watch the race. Paige was again a huge help during and after the race.

Henrik and Kevin were “in it to win it” with these successive attacks in plan A. We felt pretty secure that we could execute proper protection for Dan in the m55 group, and still be ready for Neil and I to play out plan B if needed. I'm convinced it's only because of the stress that Kevin and Henrik put on the rest of the peloton, that made that second plan a success. Once again a thinking team shows how to get results. Great job guys, and thanks for the sacrifice.


Thanks for reading, and for all of the support. Any comments, questions or discussion are welcome. As are any corrections from my teammates.

2 comments:

  1. Well done! You're having a great season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave! The past year of training put me 19 seconds faster on the final climb (3:49/4:08)... Part of it is due to the new bike, part was chasing Rob E. on hills in the off-season, but most of it is certainly the team.

    ReplyDelete