Sunday, November 23, 2014

First Spin On the New Bike!

My new 2015 Emonda SL6
(pretty soon I'll cut the steerer tube so I won't chip my buck teeth on all those spacers;-)

Since Tweety's sad retirement from service, Sylvester has been performing surprisingly well. Yet I don't have much faith that Sylvester's frame and worn components would last another road racing season.

I gaze in wonder at the level of equipment that many in the masters peloton are riding on, as I piece together whatever machine I can just to be able to ride. Work has been slow this year and unlike 24 years ago, I can no longer spring for a grand tour level bike.

But I have to ride. Tweety lasted almost two decades, and a well-cared-for bike is almost like a piece of real estate–it even could be considered an investment.

So a couple of weeks ago I started shopping, hoping I'd find a modern bike that I could almost afford, without feeling like I was settling. If I felt like I'd be “driving a Rambler” I'd just stick with Sylvester, as that bike actually rides like a classic 80's race bike.

What I bought today is far, far below the level of what many of my fellow racers are riding, but so far I love this bike.

It's a Trek Emonda SL6. The Emonda is new for Trek in 2015. The SL frame is Asian manufactured, with 500-series OCLV carbon fiber. The “6” means it's Ultegra 6800 11-speed equipped. 


The bland wheels are Bontrager Race, as are the alloy stem and bars. Higher level Emondas are U.S. Made frames that are quite a bit lighter. With my clunky old Look pedals, this bike weighs 16 lbs (five pounds lighter than what I've been riding–now the combined weight of bike and rider are less than my body weight alone three years ago).

While the new Ultegra group has a lot more thermoplastic and pressed steel in it than past generations, it works solidly.

Trek "splits the difference" on many of their 2015 bikes, using an integrated seat mast with a longer mast/cap/post thingamajig. I don't expect a fantastic saddle with an off-the shelf bike, but the Bontrager one that comes with the bike isn't bad.

What is so remarkable to me is the ride of the whole bike. I had about an hour to take it for a spin this afternoon. Like I told Jen tonight at dinner, there's no way I can describe how amazing this bike feels on the road, but that won't stop me from trying over and over until you're all sick of hearing it.

What I notice most of all is rigidity of the frame at the bottom bracket and the front end, yet there isn't any jarring feeling. It feels like a really good italian steel race frame in that there's a liveliness that's not the result of flexibility (If that makes any sense).

Equally impressive is overall handling. I've only done two test rides from the bike shop, and then today's ride. Today's ride covered a mix of good to poor pavement. You can hammer hard for 14 miles through the curves and rollers, powering over rises and through turns. I didn't beat any of my personal records, but I was really impressed with the handling. It's hard to crow about neutrality, but with this frame, I think Trek really struck gold. I've ridden old 70's crit bikes with 74-degree head tubes and they weren't any fun in a 60-mile road race. This Emonda is about a degree more relaxed in the front, while still having a 74-degree seat tube. The fork offset is a cushy 45 mm so the steering is predictable, yet lots of fun in turns.

I think I found the bike that's in that sweet spot of the market–one that performs solidly, yet comes in well under three grand. Most shops are selling the SL6 for $2999. My new race team's sponsoring shop offers a generous discount, but it's inconvenient for me to drive all the way over there for multiple test rides, etc. I'm very lucky that my local City Cycle in Corte Madera was willing to match the deal. For convenience and the impressive level of customer service I experienced there, I purchased the bike there today. Major kudos to Scott Green for his great service.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! Congrats on tipping the power-to-weight equation even more dramatically in your favor. That's a good-looking bike, too. I like stealthy, not shiny. And 11-speed is the way the wind is blowing. My next bike is probably going to be an 11-speed cyclocross bike ... maybe 1x11.

    ReplyDelete