Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Cherry Pie Criterium - February 9th, 2014
Event
Cherry Pie Criterium
Date
02/09/14
Group
35+ 4/5
Bib #
957
Result
5th of 20



Course
1-mile lap on good, wide roads in business park area. A stiff 100 meter climb on each lap. Uphill finish.



Details of Race
It was pouring rain, but I needed one more race to qualify for an upgrade to category 4. I decided to go for it, but chose to ride the spare bike, my $179 eBay find, a mid-80s Raleigh Competition. I mounted good tires and hoped that using the bar-end Dura Ace shifters wouldn't foul me up in a pack.

I fought for all three primes, but won none. These sprints definitely split up the field. Two attacked on the final lap and I tried to bridge alone. I was losing ground so I sat up to rejoin the remainder of he pack and sprint for 3rd. I ended up with 5th place & I won a soggy envelope containing a 10-dollar bill!

On the following Monday I submitted my request for a 5-to-4 upgrade and it became official about 2 hours later.



Advice
A good early season criterium with a good hill. Even though it's in a business park, this course is sort of technical. I like this race.



Links
Results
Strava

1 comment:

  1. well done Glen, congrats on your upgrade. you are a machine!

    ReplyDelete